Saturday, January 31, 2009

Run With a Pacing Partner

I ran this morning with my 7 1/2 month old, 8-pound Italian Greyhound puppy, Tinkerbell. I planned my route to loop back by the house at about the 3 mile mark because I though she would need to be let into the house. On the contrary, Tink was still out in front and pulling on the leash when we passed the house. Not long after that, she quit pulling and started running beside me, but never lagged behind. She didn't even breath through her mouth for the entire 5 miles. What a great dog!

More than that, though, she was a good pacing partner. I ran the 5 miles at a sub-10 minute per mile pace. Since my marathon goal is 9 minutes per mile, that was a big mile-stone.

This next week I do not plan on increasing my miles. I am feeling a few twinges in my knees and lower back. I want to run faster, walk less, and get used to this mileage before I increase. Right now, I am walking about 1 minute for every mile and a half. I will try next week to increase those intervals. I am pushing hard and am weeks ahead of my 10-week plan. Good thing, since my marathon date moved up by two weeks and I didn't have enough time as it was.

And I plan to run with Tink from now on!

2 comments:

Zach said...

Sometimes you need something else to focus on beside running...

Vanessa said...

Dad, I think it's awesome that you run. Why didn't I get running genes? Not to mention wake up early genes. Not fair!