Frankly, the marathon training is a "little" boring. Sixteen weeks is a long time--at least for me. But it helps to have goals. My current weight is 178. Since last Thanksgiving, I have lost 49 pounds. My BMI is 24.8. Yes! Normal! One goal down. Now the hard part, keeping it off. And buying new clothes. Nothing fits. Given how heavy I was, that is a good problem.
The running continues. I ran a second half-marathon--the Whiskey Row Marathon and Half Marathon--in Prescott on May 2 for my birthday (51 on May 5). It was a brutal course, but lots of fun. It was an out and back route that ran up a forest road after only about 3 miles on paved roads. And "up" is no exaggeration. From the website: "This out and back course is considered one of the most difficult in the United States, offering panoramic views of Northern Arizona. Starting at 5,280 feet, the elevation increases at [sic] 7,000 feet....." My time was 2:01:07, which, considering the steep climb for the first half of the race and the altitude, was pretty good. Really an awesome experience. Race photos available here. Sorry--I am too cheap to buy the photos, or I would post them here!
Hannah and Emma ran the shorter event. I am really proud of them, they did great! Photos of Emma here and Hannah here. (Maybe I will buy those....)
During the rest of May, the biggest events were the two twenty-mile long runs. Not too bad, but twenty miles is really a long way! I can't wait for the marathon to get here.
Now, I am in the "taper" period, where my mileage cuts down to allow my legs to recover for the actual event. I feel hyper. I can't sit still. I have read that this is normal and that I need to resist the urge to run further than my training plan calls for, or to run faster. I never thought that would be a problem, but it is!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment