Friday, April 3, 2009

Still Making Progress

The biggest problem this week--week 11, counting down, of a 16 week training program--is motivation. The workouts are getting harder. I just need to keep thinking about increased capacity.

Yesterday I ran 13 miles. Usually my long run is on Saturday, but I switched this week because I am entered in my first 10k on Saturday. I ran only in the neighborhood because I didn't want to run on Cave Creek and Deer Valley and 7th Street during high traffic times--too many fumes, too many cars. Good route early Saturday morning, but not on a weekday.

Anyway, there are two problems with running that distance in my small neighborhood. First, I felt like I was running in circles, no doubt because I was. Lots of circles. Second, there are lots of hills. Hills are good for training, but yesterday they were a killer.

My training schedule was for 13 miles at a 9:15/mile pace, or two hours and fifteen seconds. Doable, but just barely. I was on pace until about 12 miles, and then I hit the metaphorical wall. I actually had to walk, then jog, then walk to get back to the house. My actual time was 2:06:31, or a 9:45/mile pace. All of the extra six minutes were added on the last mile, which took almost twenty minutes to complete.

I can blame part of it on the hills. Just took too much out of me. But it also taught me that I am at enough mileage now that I need to drink more water and take in simple carbs while running. Guidelines are for carbs plus water every 45 minutes of intense workout. Yesterday was intense. Better to hit the wall yesterday than in a race. Live and learn.

1 comment:

Zach said...

We've been wondering what you were up to. Is it an official 10k tomorrow? Where is it? Are you going to post picture?